Skip Navigation
CORRECTIONS - Corrections Corrections
Email this Page
Share this Link on Facebook
Tweet this page on Twitter!

Marriage - Marrying a Prisoner

Marriage is permitted within Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC) facilities.  A prisoner must initiate the marriage process by sending a "kite" to the Chaplain of the correctional facility in which he or she is incarcerated indicating his or her desire to marry.  The facility Chaplain should respond to the prisoner within a week.  If the facility Chaplain does not respond within a week of receiving the kite, the prisoner is permitted to re-kite the the Chaplain.  The prisoner and future spouse must follow any instructions provided by the Chaplain as well as provide any requested documents.

A marriage license must be obtained from the County Clerk's Office in the county in which you reside.  If you do not live in the state of Michigan, a marriage license must be obtained from the County Clerk's Office in the county where the prisoner is currently incarcerated.  It is recommended that you contact the County Clerk's Office in advance so that you are aware as to the required documentation needed to obtain a marriage license. 

Weddings at MDOC correctional facilities are scheduled based on the availability of time, space and correctional staff work schedules. The facility Chaplain will require time to schedule the wedding. On the day of the wedding, bring all documentation requested by the facility Chaplain.  Prisoners are permitted to wear a wedding ring.  A prisoner's wedding ring must be new plain band (witout stones or insignia) and cannot be more than $75.00 in retail value.

For more information, please contact the Chaplain at the facility where the prisoner is currently incarcerated.