- Team based, environmental competition for high school students focused on using the outdoors as a classroom
- Addresses current and critical environmental issues
- Provides an exciting and unique learning opportunity for high school students
- Teams compete in regional and state competitions. The first place team from Michigan represents the state at the National Competition, the Cannon Envirothon, North America 's largest high school environmental education competition.
- Provides an exciting and unique learning opportunity for high school students and encourages the leaders of tomorrow to take on the environmental challenges that are pressing today.
Attention All Michigan High School Students!
Are you interested in the environment and enjoy being outdoors? Consider participating in the 2012 Michigan Envirothon competition, sponsored by the Michigan Association of Conservation Districts.
At Michigan Envirothon competitions, teams of high school students are tested on their conservation knowledge and skills. Regional and state competitions are held with the overall winner representing Michigan at the Canon North American Envirothon. The Canon North American Envirothon includes teams from across the United States and Canada. Students interested in participating in the Michigan Envirothon register as a team of five students; each team must have and adult advisor. The deadline for registering for the Michigan Envirothon is February 8, 2012, with a registration fee of $100 for each team. Any high school student in Michigan is eligible to participate in the Envirothon.
Michigan Envirothon gives students the opportunity to lean about the environment by working with natural resources and professions from state, federal, and other conservation organizations. Team members use their environmental knowledge and the skills they learn to compete in hands-on outdoor competitions. Each team also completes a community outreach project addressing a natural resources concern in their community.
Teams first compete in regional competitions held in March in preparation for the state competition. In 2012, the state competition will be held from May 9 to 11 at Lake Superior State University in Sault Ste. Marie. The Canon North American Envirothon will be held from July 22 to 28 at Susquehanna University in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania.
The Michigan Envirothon was established in 1994. In 2011, 30 teams, including 163 students from 30 high schools, participated in the competition. For more information about the Michigan Envirothon, including registration materials, contact Michigan Envirothon by phone at 517-324-4421, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the Envirothon website.