- The Top-to-Bottom list is part of Michigan's school accountability system which ranks schools on their student performance in mathematics, reading, writing, science and social studies and graduation rate data (for high schools). School performance components include student achievement, improvement and achievement gaps between the highest and lowest scoring 30 percent of students in each school.
This list provides valuable information on the performance of Michigan’s public schools and identifies areas of both strength and challenge. It is also used to determine:
- Reward Schools, based on the top 5% of schools in the ranking as well as the schools with the highest improvement values from this list. Beating the Odds schools, which are those schools either outperforming their expected ranking or outperforming other similarly-situated schools, are also Reward Schools.
- Focus Schools, based on the achievement gap component of this list.
- Priority (formerly Persistently Lowest Achieving), Schools based on the bottom 5% of this list.
All schools are included in the ranking if they have two years of assessment data for 30 or more full academic year students in two or more tested subjects.More information is available by clicking on the buttons below:
These measurements were developed in conjunction with a diverse set of education stakeholders throughout the 2010-2011 school year as part of Michigan's approved federal No Child Left Behind (NCLB) flexibility waiver.
For support with the Top-to-Bottom Ranking, please contact:
Office of Evaluation, Strategic Research and Accountability (OESRA)
877-560-8378 or MDE-Accountability@michigan.gov
Subscribe to Accountability and other MDE Email ListServs
- 2013-14 Top-to-Bottom Ranking List (For Print and Publication)
- Top-to-Bottom School Rankings on MISchoolData.org
- 2013-14 At-A-Glance Overview of the Top-to-Bottom School Rankings
- 2013-14 Top-to-Bottom Rankings Policy Brief
- Understanding the Top-to-Bottom Ranking
- 2013-14 School Ranking Business Rules
- Interactive Top-to-Bottom Ranking Presentation (Requires Adobe Flash)
- Help with Z-Scores
- 2013-14 Top-to-Bottom Individual School Lookup Tool
- 2013-14 Beating the Odds Individual School Lookup Tool
- 2013-14 Achievement Gap Individual School Lookup Tool
- 2013-14 District and School Accountability Master Designations File
- 2013-14 Top-to-Bottom Data Needed for Replication of Rankings
- Top-to-Bottom Resources for School Use (Diagnostic Worksheet and Sample Communication)
- 2012-13 School Ranking Business Rules
- 2012-13 Achievement Gap Individual School Lookup Tool
- 2012-13 Beating the Odds Individual School Lookup Tool
- 2012-13 Top-to-Bottom Individual School Lookup Tool
- 2012-13 Data Needed for Replication of the Top-to-Bottom Ranking
- 2012-13 District and School Accountability Master Designations File
- 2012-13 Top-to-Bottom Rankings List for Print and Publication
- 2012-13 Top-to-Bottom Rankings Policy Brief
- 2011-12 Top-to-Bottom Individual School Lookup Tool with School Data
- 2011-12 School Ranking Business Rules
- 2011-12 Statewide Top-to-Bottom List for Print and Publication
- 2011-12 Combined Facts and Figures on the Top-to-Bottom Ranking, Reward, Focus, and Priority Schools
- 2011-12 Accountability Master Results File (Sortable by ISD, District, and School)
- 2011-12 Data Needed for Replication of the Top-to-Bottom Ranking
- 2010-11 Top-to-Bottom School Rankings List
- 2010-11 Top-to-Bottom Individual School Lookup Tool with School Data