Skip Navigation
Michigan Department of TransportationVisit! Home
close print view
  Highway Advertising Signs
  What is Highway Advertising (also referred to as Outdoor Advertising)?
  How do I get a permit for a sign/billboard along the highway?
  What special sign programs are available to businesses that serve travelers and tourists?
  Are there any exemptions for certain signs?
  What is an interim permit?
  If I hold a permit, what is the process to apply for a new location?
  What do I need to do to cut or trim trees or shrubs in front of my sign?
  Can I submit an application or renew my permits online?
  What are the zoning requirements to erect a sign?
  What are the spacing requirements?
  What happens if I am not approved for a permit?
  What do I do with my permit after I am approved?
  How much does a permit cost?
  When does a permit expire?
  What is the process for renewing a permit?
  If I sell my sign, how can I transfer the permits?
  What happens if I need to remove my sign?

FAQ Categories
 •  About MDOT
 •  Auctions
 •  Winter Maintenance FAQs
 •  Bids & Contracts
 •  Bagley Avenue Pedestrian Bridge Art
 •  Bridges
 •  Bridge Operations
 •  Construction
 •  Construction Permits
 •  Construction Field Services
 •  Courtesy Patrol
 •  Driver Information
 •  Freedom of Information Act
 •  Highway Advertising Signs
 •  Highway Maintenance
 •  Local Agency Programs
 •  Logo Signs & Tourist-Oriented Signs
 •  Mackinac Bridge
 •  MiRLAP
 •  Noise Abatement
 •  Political Signs
 •  Potholes
 •  Rail Safety
 •  Rideshare
 •  Roads
 •  Safety Programs
 •  Traffic Signals
 •  Traffic Signs & Delineation
 •  Traffic & Safety
 •  Work Zone Speeds
QR code Home
PoliciesMichigan Survey

Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan