close print view
MDOT to invest $84.7 million in Southwest Region roads and bridges in 2012Contact: Nick Schirripa, MDOT Office of Communications,
- The 2012 MDOT Southwest Region road and bridge program is roughly $7 million more than 2011's program.
- The Southwest Region maintains 593 bridges and 1,567 miles of roadway under state jurisdiction.
- In 2012, 162 miles of pavement and 33 bridges will be upgraded in the Southwest Region.
February 22, 2012 -- The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) will be investing $84.7 million to improve 162 miles of roadway and 33 bridges in the MDOT Southwest Region in 2012. The Southwest Region is composed of nine counties - Allegan, Barry, Berrien, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, Kalamazoo, St. Joseph and Van Buren.
The Southwest Region 2012 program will provide approximately $66.7 million for pavement repair and roughly $18 million to repair bridges.
"Improving transportation infrastructure benefits motorists and communities, making roadways safer and more reliable, as well as encouraging economic growth and development," said Southwest Region Engineer Bobbi Welke. "Our 2012 program reflects the use of proven asset management strategies to ensure we continue to provide the greatest return on our limited funding."
The following high-impact projects are scheduled for 2012 in the Southwest Region.
- M-89: An $11 million investment to rebuild more than 2 miles of M-89 from 12th Street to Hicks Avenue in Plainwell, including rebuilding and repairing bridges over the Kalamazoo River mill race and US-131.
- I-196: A $13 million investment to rebuild more than 9 miles of northbound I-196 from 130th Avenue to US-31 near Saugatuck and Holland.
- M-43 and M-37: A $5 million investment to repave and rebuild almost 2 miles of M-43 and M-37 from Hanover Street to the north city limits in Hastings, including repairing the bridge over the Thornapple River.
- M-63: A $1 million investment to repair the M-63 bridge over I-94 in St. Joseph Township.
- I-69: An $882,000 investment to repair the Jonesville Road bridge over I-69 in Coldwater.
- M-331: A $1.3 million investment to replace the M-331 (Park Street) bridge over Axtell Creek in Kalamazoo.
MDOT reminds drivers: Snowplows need room to groom!
Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan